The Mauritius Research Council (MRC) was set up in May 1992 (Act no. 10 of 1992) as an apex body to promote and coordinate Government’s investment in research. The MRC acts as a central body to advise Government on S&T issues and to influence the direction of technological innovation by funding research projects in areas of national priority and encouraging strategic partnerships.
“To be the driving force behind research for national development”
Our mission is
“Promoting and pioneering research for sustainable development to enhance the quality of life of the people of Mauritius”
In collaboration with other research organisations, we aim at rationalising research efforts, developing synergies, and promoting partnership among the public sector, academia and the business community.
The fundamental aims of the Council can be stated as follows:
- To generate relevant new knowledge
- To pioneer, coordinate and exploit research for societal benefit
- To act as a professional agency of Government, advising on future development
Our main objectives are to:
- foster, promote and co-ordinate research and development in all spheres of scientific, technological, social and economic activities;
- advise the government on all matters concerning scientific and technological policies;
- lay guidelines for, and initiate the formulation of research and development policies on a national basis;
- encourage commercial utilisation of research and development results in the national interest.