Country of residence: Uruguay
Born in: 1968
Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Versailles Saint Quentin Yvelines (France, 2000-2003) with scholarship from French government; Master in Regional and Local Development, Catholic University of Uruguay and CLAEH University-Latin American Center for Human Economy (Uruguay, 1997 – 1999); Specialization in Urban Sociology, University of the Republic, Uruguay (1995 – 1996); Degree in Sociology, University of the Republic, Uruguay (1987-1992). IDRC (Canada) scholarship on gender issues (1997-1999).
Since 1992, professor and researcher, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of the Republic (Uruguay). Professor of research methodology and gender sociology. She was coordinator of the Master in Sociology (2010-2017) and is currently coordinator of the Doctorate in Sociology at the University of the Republic (Uruguay). Member of the National Research System, level II in Uruguay. Winner of the Filgueira Fund from the Ministry of Social Development from Uruguay (2010). Author of invited presentations worldwide and more than 130 publications on issues of gender; public policies; unpaid work; politics of care in Latin America; recent evolutions of gender, state feminism and care models in Latin America and Europe; health, gender and poverty in Latin America; social analysis of the pandemic. Coordination of international research working groups on those issues.
Past and current positions
CLACSO’s Executive Secretary since 2018 (more information below under the next question).
- University of the Republic (Uruguay), Faculty of Social Sciences, professor and researcher (1992-to date)
- National Research System in Uruguay, level II member (2005-to date)
- University of Barcelona, Spain. Visiting Professor and research, on Care and Social Welfare (2018).
- University College London. International Network on Leave Policies and Research, and Transforming Care Network. International academic committee (2017-to date).
- National Agency of Research and Innovation, Uruguay. Coordinator of the Care Policies Project (2015-2017).
- Office for Planning and Budget, Uruguay. Coordinator of the Gender Systems Agreement (2016).
- ECLAC-Economic Commission for Latin America. Coordinator Regional Project on Gender Issues (2010-2011). Consultant and teaching on Care Policies, Gender Policies, Public Policies on Equality (2010-to date).
- Ministry of Social Development, Uruguay. Development of the National Care System (2010-2011).
- FLACSO-Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences. Regional Program Public Policies on Gender PRIGEPP. Visiting Professor (2008-to date).
- UNFPA. National official for the program in Uruguay (2008-2010) and consultant (2005-2011).
- UNDP. Associate Regional Expert on gender issues (2010-2012).
- IDRC, Canada. Project Coordinator (2004-2005); Consultant on gender issues (2003-2004).
- Institute of the Third World, Uruguay (ngo). Coordinator Research Area (2003-2007)