The Knowledge Action Network on Emergent Risks and Extreme Events (Risk KAN) is a joint initiative of Future Earth, the Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) programme and the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP).
In establishing the Knowledge Action Network on Emergent Risks and Extreme Events (Risk KAN) interested researchers are now being sought for voluntary participation in the Risk KAN including potential leadership within a Working Group or in the Development Team (DT). Working groups, to be structured along with the establishment of DT, will be a core element of the Risk KAN, allowing demand-driven, flexible, challenge-based networking to support and help shape the agenda of the Risk KAN.
All prospective DT members should consider availability for approximately one day a month, at least.
The aims of the Working Groups are to:
- Provide syntheses and perspectives on specific topics
- Elaborate and socialize research agendas
- Identify stakeholders and collaborators and means to engaging them
- Develop fundraising strategies and governance principles in consultation with stakeholders
The Terms of Reference for the DT, upon agreement, will be to:
- Formulate and review the concept, scope and scientific/research agendas for the Risk KAN and regularly update the vision document and update a science plan
- Establish strategies for (1) partners engagement, (2) resources identification, (3) continuous engagement (e.g. identification of contact points) with science partners. This is to be done in consultation with the sponsoring programmes (Future Earth, IRDR and WCRP) and partners including the International Science Council (ISC), to maintain and engage a wide international community including researchers, research users, donors, practitioners, and beneficiaries
- Explore, develop and review a long-term vision for DT and overall Risk KAN implementation, including supporting mechanism for Risk KAN activities, in consultation with sponsoring programmes and partners
- Assess and approve proposals for Risk KAN Working Groups and monitor their activities with respect to relevance to the Risk KAN scope and aims
- Review the ongoing and proposed activities for the Risk KAN informed by the research agendas of ISC, Future Earth, IRDR, WCRP and other supporting organizations or partners.
- Make recommendations to guide further actions of the Risk KAN and related activities of sponsoring programmes and partners
- Explore, facilitate and develop funding proposals in communication with potential partners and sponsors (national research councils, international development, research donors etc.) to identify necessary resources for KAN implementation, in coordination with sponsoring programmes
- Develop and review an outreach strategy, in accordance with a strategy for partner engagement
The Risk KAN invites interested researchers/professionals to complete the online application form no later than 15 November 2018. Notifications will be sent out by the end of 2018.