The Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI) held its 3rd meeting of the EC – 25th CoP – 44th meeting of the EC. Bogotá, Colombia, 12-15 June 2017. The objective of this meeting was to foster dialogue among IAI member countries and begin co-designing research priorities for the next phase of the IAI-CRN4 scientific program. Some of the issues addressed in this activity are listed as follows:
– Science-Policy co-design workshop for IAI Science Advisory Committees.
– The celebration the 25th anniversary of the IAI: achievements and direction for the next decade
– Presentation of the next Executive Director and his vision for IAI
– Opportunities for Open Science and IAI Leadership in the Americas
Launch of Vulnerability Analysis for Colombia in the Third National Communication Framework Policy for Climate Change
– Progress reports on IAI’s scientific program and capacity building, budget and annual plan and IAI offices
– Tribute to the outgoing Executive Director
While in this meeting, it was possible to participate in different debates and discussions. A positive outcome of this meeting was the proposal made by our regional director in which he suggested that Central American countries join the IAI, and offered means of cooperation in order to organize a meeting in Central America in the near future.
ICSU ROLAC was invited by the Instituto de Hidrología, Meteorología y Estudios Ambientales de Colombia (IDEAM) on behalf of the Colombian government and the Inter-American Institute (IAI) due to the long and close ties between ICSU and the aforementioned organizations. The IAI and ICSU ROLAC have a partnership agreement which provides a framework within specific areas may be identified, and collaborative activities may be undertaken in support of Future Earth on the themes of sustainable energy, and disaster risk.