The International Science Council (ISC) is seeking a Communications Officer to join its Communications team on a permanent contract and starting as soon as possible.
The ISC is a non-governmental organization with a unique global membership that brings together 40 international scientific Unions and Associations and over 140 national and regional scientific organizations, including Academies and Research Councils.
The mission of the ISC is to act as the global voice for science. Its activities focus on three principle areas of work:
- Scientific freedom and responsibility
Reporting to the Science Director, you will have responsibility for developing communications products for the Council, including print, digital and audio-visual content serving its strategy, activities and organizational development. This will include managing the organization’s overall digital image (website, blogs, social media, etc.) and being the guardian of the ISC corporate brand. You will work alongside colleagues to support a wide range of ISC activities and events, as well as contribute to forward planning and outreach communications.
This role involves interacting with project teams across the organization’s Paris headquarters (24 staff in 2018) and with broader networks of ISC Members, stakeholders and partners. It also requires managing external consultants for specific, time-bound projects.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a brand-new organization that has recently been launched, following the merger of two prestigious membership bodies representing the natural and the social sciences – the International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC).
ISC is seeking candidates with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and a keen interest in issues around the intersection between policy, science and society
- At least 5 years’ experience in a digital communications and content creation role
- Excellent track record managing multiple social channels and ability to follow trends in a fast-changing space
- Web management experience including familiarity with CMS software, especially WordPress
- Experience in media relations and media outreach
- Experience of campaign communications would be a plus
- Excellent knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign software and HTML/CSS would be an added advantage; as well as skills in photography, including sourcing and selection of photography for online media and publications
- Experience managing work carried out with external consultants, especially around design, photography and digital development
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills in English and the ability to produce engaging written and visual content for different audiences
- Capacity to work productively and cooperatively and to contribute across different teams
- Social skills and ability to work in an international and multicultural context
- Flexible, “can-do” attitude and able to adapt to a constantly changing workflow
- Presentation skills
- Project management skills
- Being curious and open-minded so as to be able to keep abreast of trends in science communications and to advise on digital issues
- Experience living or working internationally is a plus
The salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Applicants should either be EU nationals or should hold a valid French work permit.
Applications (preferably in one combined PDF file) should include a CV, cover letter and the contact details of three referees and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Officer” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 31 August 2018.