IUFoST, the global scientific body for Food Science and Technology will hold its 2nd Global Food Summit ‘Strategies and Actions for Sustainability of Future Food Systems‘ virtually on 18 September 2020, beginning at 07:50 Eastern Time North America (GMT-4).
Nations around the world are facing serious challenges relating to food, water and energy security, health and environmental change, and the ever increasing demand for science advice. The United Nations is convening a Food Systems Summit in 2021 as part of its Decade of Action to achieve Sustainable Development Goals. The global pandemic has accelerated the need for a comprehensive and collective global response to the needs of future food systems.
The purpose of this second IUFoST Global Food Summit is to bring together those who provide advice to governments on these critical global issues related to Global Food and Nutrition Security to share best practices and develop integrated action plans for now and in preparation towards the UN Food Systems Summit of 2021.
The Summit Focus
- Setting the Multi-disciplinary Global Stage
- Food Science and Technology: Advancing Evidence and Knowledge
- Food and Nutrition Security: Implications, Challenges and Solutions for the Food Industry with reference to COVID-19 and future food systems
- Traditional Food Markets, Future Food Systems and Capacity Building
- Capacity Building: Mobilisation
Distinguished Speakers include
· Dr. Catherine Bertini, Former Executive Director of the World Food Programme, World Food Prize recipient
· Dr. Joachim von Braun, UN Advisory Committee, and Scientific Group Chair, UN Food Systems Summit, Professor for Economic and Technological Change, Director, Centre for Development Research, Bonn
· Dr. Junshi Chen, Member, Chinese Academy of Engineering; Chief Advisor of China National Centre for Food Safety Risk Assessment
· Professor Sir Charles Godfray, Director of the Oxford Martin School, University of Oxford, England
· Dr. Gordon McBean, Nobel Laureate, Co-Founder of Future Earth Programme and Past President of International Council for Science (now ICS).
· Dr. Ruth Oniang’o, Chair Sasakawa Africa Association; Founder, Rural Outreach Programme; Board of Directors CABI
· Dr. John McDermott, Dr. Samuel Godefroy, and many other distinguished leaders and scientists including from the United Nations University, African Development Bank and UNIDO.
Attendees may express interest in joining the IUFoST technical working groups around the Summit focus when registering. Questions around the topics and directed towards the programme may be submitted in advance to the IUFoST Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Summit).