The complex contradictions between knowledge and uncertainty, evidence and ideology are increasingly in the public eye. Giving and taking science advice is a high stakes game in a world struggling with overlapping and polarising fault-lines on all sides.
This special panel at ESOF 2022 (13-16 July) will bring together some of the world’s leading science advice practitioners to map-out what these challenges and to propose reformed or new regional or global institutions that might be needed, where and why?
- Professor Pearl Dykstra (The Netherlands), Moderator: Chair in Empirical Sociology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam; Deputy Chair of the European Commission’s Group of Chief Science Advisors (SAM) 2015 – 2020.
- Professor Rémi Quirion (Canada), Speaker & Session Organiser: Chief Scientist of Québec; & President, International Network for Governmental Science Advice (INGSA).
- Irina Bokova (Bulgaria), Speaker: Co-chair of the Global Commission on Science Missions for Sustainability, International Science Council (ISC); former Director-General of UNESCO (2009 – 2017); former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Interim, Bulgaria.
- Paul Rübig (Austria), Speaker: European Economic & Social Committee, Former Member of the European Parliament (1996 – 2019), Member of the Committee on Industry, Research & Energy (ITRE) & Chair of the EP’s Science & Technology Open Assessment Panel (STOA).
- Professor Derrick Swartz (South Africa), Speaker: Special Adviser to the Minister of Higher Education, Science and Innovation of South Africa & Chief Strategy Advisor, Ocean Sciences, Nelson Mandela University.
- Aidan Gilligan (Ireland),Panel Curator: CEO, SciCom – Making Sense of Science.
International Science Council Members can use the following discount code to join the conference in person, or remotely: 1NT3RN4T10N4L2022. If you have any issues with is code, please contact email@example.com
You might also be interested in
An ISC-INGSA Occasional Paper on the development of a training module on science advice and diplomacy for the ISC community and Members.
Attending ESOF? Register for the ISC lunch: Friday 15 July | 12:30 – 14:00
The ISC, in conjunction with the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, will host a VIP lunch with Irina Bokova, Peter Gluckman, past ESOF champions and special guests. To register: