On 13 October at 9:00am EAT, the International Science Council and Future Africa will conduct a workshop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with support from DESA, World Food Forum, and UN MGCY, focusing on building capacity and scaling up Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) actions in Africa for the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The workshop will explore innovative approaches to harnessing science for sustainable development in Africa, based on the ISC model developed in the “Flipping the science model” report, launched at the 2023 High-level Political Forum (HLPF). This model focuses on solving real-world problems through a “big science” approach relying on a globally funded and mission-driven network of Regional Sustainability Hubs.
Key Questions for Discussion
- How can mission-driven science align diverse stakeholder needs for sustainability?
- What funding mechanisms can drive inclusive and innovative solutions in Africa?
- How can global science address complex sustainability challenges in the region?
- What steps can we take to create transformative partnerships for equity and sustainability?
- How can we accelerate collective efforts to implement the 2030 Agenda?
- How can African science systems promote innovation for sustainable development?
Dr. Farai Kapfudzaruwa, Research and Strategic Partnerships Manager, Future Africa and Ms. Megha Sud, Science Officer, International Science Council
- Ms. Heide Hackmann (virtual), Executive Director, Future Africa and ISC Regional Focal Point for Africa, presenting the ISC proposed model.
- Ms. Isabella Aboderin, Perivoli (virtual) Chair in Africa Research and Partnerships, University of Bristol: Presentation on the Global Charter for Transformative Research Collaboration
- Dr. George Owusu Essegbey, CEO of Technology Development and Transfer Centre of the Council of Science and Industrial Research, Accra-Ghana, former member of the UN SG’s 10 Member Advisory Group to Support Technology Facilitation Mechanism
- Dr. Madhvee Madhou, Research Coordinator, Mauritius Research and Innovation Council, Mauritius
- Dr. Abderazak Chahboune, Head of Division of the Coordination of Research University, Direction of Scientific Research and Innovation, Ministry of Higher Education, Scientific Research and Innovation, Morocco
- Ms Cynthia Alexander, Director of the Division of Science, Technology and Innovation, Ministry of Investment, Entrepreneurship and Industry, Seychelles
- Prof. Chomora Mikeka, Director of STI, Ministry of Education, Directorate of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malawi
Photo by Yohannes Minas on Unsplash