How can we know whom to trust? What makes experts trustworthy? How can we design trustworthy and trusted policies? How can we recognize trustworthy scientific evidence and science advice for policy? We are delighted to invite you to discuss these and many other questions regarding the complex relationship of policy, expertise, and trust at the closing conference of the PERITIA project.
‘Research Insights for European Policymaking’ takes place from 4-5 May in Brussels at the European Parliament Info Hub. Researchers will provide reflections on the project’s outcomes and impact and will exchange with policymakers, civil society and interested citizens on implications for European governance.
ISC President, Peter Gluckman will give a keynote address at conference.
PERITIA – Policy, Expertise and Trust – is an EU-funded research project launched in 2020 with the aim of better understanding public trust in experts and expertise. Over the past three years, researchers have developed theoretical and practical tools and indicators to examine and measure trust, using climate change and the Covid-19 pandemic as test cases. These instruments can now be employed towards enhancing trust in better democratic governance for the future of Europe.
Co-hosted by the European Parliament’s Panel for the Future of Science and Technology and the European Science Media Hub, this event provides a unique opportunity to enter into meaningful discussion with researchers advocating for science-backed policy as well as policymakers themselves.
Please note, this event is open to everyone and free of charge, but does require prior registration for both days individually.
- Keynotes by MEP Christian Ehler, Chair of the European Parliament’s Panel for the Future of Science and Technology (STOA) & Sir Peter Gluckman, President of the International Science Council
- Bespoke climate crisis simulation that puts the theory behind the project into action
- Policy roundtable with PERITIA experts and European policymakers
- Reflection on PERITIA’s series of citizen fora in 5 European capitals
- Launches of PERITIA’s Trustworthiness Toolkit, the Trust Data Hub for researchers and journalists, and the PERITIA podcast “The Trust Race”
- Awards ceremony and roundtable for the winners of the Youth on Trust Awards competition among students from across Europe