This first forum in South America will include two days of discussions:
Day 1 – 8 September 2021, 13:30 – 16:00 UTC
1. WCRP ‘Our Climate Future’ – Detlef Stammer and Helen Cleugh, Chair and Vice Chair of the WCRP Joint Scientific Committee.
2. ‘My Climate Risk’ Lighthouse Activity
- Regina Rodrigues, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil – WCRP My Climate Risk Lighthouse Activity: Inverting the construction of climate information.
- Anna Sörensson, Research Centre of the Sea and the Atmosphere, Argentina – Constructing regional climate information relevant for risk assessments and decision making.
3. WCRP ‘Regional Information for Society’ (RIfS) Core Project
- Silvina Solman, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina – CORDEX in South America and Introduction to the new WCRP Core Project: Regional Information for Society (RIfS).
- Germán Poveda, National University of Colombia, Colombia – Hydroclimate Research Program for the Andes (ANDEX) and the connection with RIfS.
Day 2 – 9 September 2021, 13:30 – 16:00 UTC
4. Capacity development: What is needed in South America?
- Patricia Krecl, Federal University of Technology, Brazil and RA-III representative, WMO Research Board – Innovation in the WMO Regional Associations: diagnostics and recommendations.
- Pablo Borges de Amorim, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil – WCRP Academy Lighthouse Activity.
5. Round table – WCRP, Future Earth and the UN Ocean Decade
- Salvatore Arico, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO; Emmanuelle Di Lorenzo, Future Earth OCEAN KAN; Ivonne Montes, Geophysical Institute of Peru. Moderated by Ken Takahashi, WCRP Joint Scientific Committee, and Regina Rodrigues, My Climate Risk Lighthouse Activity.
There will be opportunities for discussion throughout the Forum. The Forum is without charge and is open to all, but we do ask that you register here.
Further information and details of how to register can be found here.
The Forum will be recorded, and the recording will be posted online on the WCRP webpage after the event.