The Association of Academies and Societies of Sciences in Asia (AASSA) is a non-profit international organization with interests in science and technology. The principal objective of AASSA is to build a society in Asia and Australasia in which science and technology play a major role in the development of the region.
AASSA is a forum for scientists and technologists to discuss and provide advice on issues related to science and technology, research and development, and the application of science and technology for socio-economic development.
AASSA projects are jointly carried out with member Academies to pursue the followings:
- To develop cooperation in the domain of science and technology and create a network of interdisciplinary and international contacts among academies in Asia and Australasia,
- To provide advice on the role of science and technology in the national innovation systems of member countries,
- To help initiate and conduct studies and research on scientific and technological issues, and their economic and social implications relevant to national development agenda of member countries,
- To facilitate exchange of scientists and information among the AASSA countries in cooperation with international scientific organizations.
AASSA projects focus mainly on the following topics:
- Sustainable Development in Asia (SDA)
- Science Education in Asia and the Pacific (SEAP)
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE)
- Science, Health, Agriculture, Risk and Environment (SHARE)
- Economic Advancement through Science, Technology and Innovation (EASTI)