Heide Hackmann is Interim Director of Future Africa and Strategic Advisor on Transdisciplinarity and Global Knowledge Networks at the University of Pretoria in South Africa.
Dr. Heide Hackmann was the inaugural CEO of the International Science Council from 2018 to 2022, having previously been the Executive Director of the International Council for Science (ICSU) since March 2015.
Before joining ICSU, Heide served eight years as Executive Director of the International Social Science Council (ISSC).
Heide holds a M.Phil in contemporary social theory from the University of Cambridge, UK, and a PhD in science and technology studies from the University of Twente in the Netherlands.
She has worked as a science policy maker, researcher and consultant in the Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom and South Africa.
Before moving into the world of the international councils, Heide worked as Head of the Department of International Relations and Quality Assessment of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Her career in science policy dates back to the early 1990s when she worked at the Human Sciences Research Council in South Africa.
She is a former member and co-chair the UN’s 10-member group supporting the Technology Facilitation Mechanism (TFM) on the Sustainable Development Goals, and was a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Future Councils.
Heide holds membership of several international advisory committees and boards:
- Distinguished Visiting Fellow at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Austria (since 2019)
- Member of the Expert Advisory Board of the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change, Germany (since 2017)
- Member of the Advisory Council of the African Open Science Platform supported by the South African Department of Science and Technology, National Research Foundation and South African Academy of Sciences (since 2017)
- Member of the Excellence, Impact and Engagement Committee of the Ocean Frontier Institute, Canada (since 2017)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Germany (since 2013)