In today’s digital era, data-enabled scientific research cannot fully benefit society without scrupulous data stewardship. The pressing challenges faced by the planet and humankind require discipline-integrated research and sound science-driven policies that are critically dependent on trusted scientific data. The World Data System (WDS) of the International Science Council (ISC) supports long-term stewardship of quality-assured scientific data and data services across a range of disciplines in the natural and social sciences, and the humanities.
The WDS Data Stewardship Award highlights exceptional contributions to the improvement of scientific data stewardship by early-career researchers through their engagement with the community, academic achievements, and innovations.
The Award will be given each year and will be presented at the subsequent SciDataCon Conference. The 2019 WDS Data Stewardship Award will thus be presented at the next SciDataCon (dates and venue to be confirmed).
The 2019 Award will include:
- Award presentation in plenary at the next SciDataCon.
- Conference participation: travel expenses (economy airfare), lodging costs, and registration.
- A prize.
Requirements for Nominations
Please note that a candidate will not be considered eligible for the 2019 WDS Data Stewardship Award unless the following requirements are met:
- Nominees must be under the age of 40 and within ten (10) years of the award of their Masters or PhD, or equivalent professional training.
- Self-nominations are not accepted. Nominations must be sent by the representative of any scientific organization, group, body, or union.
- Each candidate may be nominated once for the 2019 WDS Data Steward Award. If multiple nominations are sent for a candidate, only the first one received shall be forwarded to the selection panel; all subsequent ones will be disregarded.
- Nominations must be made by completing the attached form and may include the following additional materials only:
- A maximum of two (2) supporting letters. These should be from data users or others outside the Nominee’s organization attesting to their contributions and qualifications.
- A two-page Curriculum Vitae containing sections covering (a) Professional Preparation (i.e., education and qualifications), (b) Appointments (positions held), (c) Major Publications, and (d) Synergistic Activities (examples demonstrating the broader impact of one’s professional activities, with a focus on the creation, integration, and transfer of knowledge).
- Nominations must reach the WDS International Programme Office (IPO@icsu-wds.org) by no later than Monday, 29 July 2019.
A panel of members of the WDS Scientific Committee will designate the winner of the 2019 Award.