Please note this important event has been postponed until early 2024
Addressing climate change and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are inextricably intertwined. Without synergies, the SDGs and climate objectives will remain out of reach. Synergistic action needs be a required component of national commitments, reporting and financing for climate and development goals. Earlier this year, the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Secretariat co-convened the Expert Group on Climate and SDG Synergy to develop the First Global Report on Climate and SDG Synergies.
The International Science Council together with the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) and Future Africa will organize a virtual event in early 2024 in the framework of the outcomes of COP28. The online event will allow for a dialogue on the key benefits for tackling climate and SDGs, discuss current barriers and enablers for the synergistic action, and outline a framework and existing approaches for synergistic action.
- Minoru Takada, Team Leader (Sustainable Energy), Division for Sustainable Development Goals, UN DESA and Head of the Secretariat of UN-Energy
- Vanessa McBride, Science Director, The International Science Council
- Luis Gomez-Echeverri, Co-Lead of the Expert Group on Climate and SDG Synergy, Emeritus Research Scholar, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
- Heide Hackmann, Co-Lead of the Expert Group on Climate and SDG Synergy, Director, Future Africa, University of Pretoria
- Katsia Paulavets, Senior Science Officer, The International Science Council
- Elena Rovenskaya, Advancing Systems Analysis Program Director, IIASA
Please note, you can still register for this event. The ISC Secretariat will be informing you of a new date soon.
Explore other related events
Knowledge Sharing Dialogue on Climate Change between the ISC Members and ISC Affiliated Bodies
4 December, online
COP28 side event: Better understanding economic impacts of climate change, and accelerating science-based
6 December, in-person & online
Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash