The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences (EAS) was established in 2010 and recognized by Act-of-parliament in 2013 with Proclamation No. 783/2013. EAS Fellows contribute to realizing the vision of the Academy through several working groups by undertaking consensus studies, organizing conferences and workshops, recognizing excellence, and providing platforms where the scientific publications of Ethiopian scholars are made accessible to the public. The EAS embraces the diverse disciplines of science and recognizes the irreplaceable role each play in developing innovation, creativity and enriching the quality of life for Ethiopians and hence has and continues to make a concerted effort to ensure that the diverse disciplines of sciences are, as much as possible, represented in the composition of the Fellows and working groups.
The Academy is committed to assist in the national development agenda and to advance the natural and cultural heritage of the nation. As an important partner to the government, it involves relevant government institutions, ministries, universities and other organizations in its effort to achieve its goals.
Vision and Mission
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences aims to be a premium organization in the development of scientific culture and scholarship in Ethiopia, through which sustainable quality of life can be attained.
The Ethiopia Academy of Sciences strives to foster scientific culture and innovation and advance the knowledge of the sciences, arts and indigenous knowledge.
- Stimulate the development of problem solving technologies and research, knowledge of applied sciences, social sciences, art, indigenous knowledge and innovative thinking that help to improve quality of life;
- Advise the government on science and socio-economic issues;
- Enhance scientific researches on areas of special importance with the active involvement of Ethiopian scholars from all disciplines;
- Create a network among Ethiopian scholars and science and art community around the world;
- Exalt the works of Ethiopian scholars for the world community;
- Create appropriate channels to disseminate major findings in all disciplines; and
- Sustain the active engagement and benefits of women and other underprivileged and marginalized groups in all scientific works.
Visit the EAS website
Connect with the EAS on LinkedIN
Follow the EAS on Facebook @easethiopia
Subscribe to the EAS YouTube channel
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences (EAS) has been a Member of the International Science Council since 2023.
Photo by Daniele Levis Pelusi on Unsplash