Position: Vice-President for Outreach and Engagement
Nationality: South African
Country of residence: South Africa
Born in: 1960
- PhD, University of Natal, South Africa
- MMed (Community Health), University of Natal, South Africa.
- FFCH (Community Medicine), College of Medicine, South Africa.
- Diploma in Datametrics (Computer Science), University of South Africa.
- MS (Epidemiology), School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York.
- MBChB, University of Natal, South Africa.
Past and current positions
- 2019-Present: Adjunct Professor in Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard University
- 2016-Present: CAPRISA Professor of Global Health, Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University (Professor with tenure)
- 2015-Present:Director: DSI-NRF Centre of Excellence in HIV Prevention (hosted by CAPRISA)
- 2014-Present: Director: MRC HIV-TB Pathogenesis and Treatment Research Unit (hosted by CAPRISA)
- 2011-Present:Associate, Ragon Institute of Massachusetts General Hospital, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University
Selected previous positions held:
- 2012-2014: President, South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC)
- 2008-2011: Honorary Professor in Public Health, Nelson R. Mandela School of Medicine, UKZN
- 2005-2015: Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research), UKZN (as an employee)
- 2001-2004: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Natal
- 2000-2015: Professor of Clinical Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, NY
- 2000-2001: Director, HIV Prevention and Vaccine Research Unit, SAMRC