The founding ISC Statutes and Rules of Procedure (the ‘constitution’) were a great achievement in enabling the merger of two long-standing organizations, ICSU and ISSC. Over the course of the first four years of operation the Governing Board and Secretariat have identified various aspects of the constitution that limit its ability to act proactively and strategically in a fast-moving global context.
The Governing Board has therefore mandated a Working Group on Constitutional Revision to examine the constitution thoroughly and propose clear principles for its revision. The Working Group will meet several times between January and April and the principles proposed by the group will be presented to and discussed with the Members at the Membership Meeting in Paris in May 2023.
The Standing Committee for Finance will then take the recommendations of the Working Group forward and produce a new set of draft statutes and rules of procedure for consideration by the Members and approval at a General Assembly.
- Julie Maxton (Chair), Executive Director, Royal Society, UK
- Irina Bokova, former Director-General UNESCO
- Debra Elmegreen, Professor Emerita, Vassar College, USA; President, International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- Mark Ferguson, Chair of Board, European Innovation Council (EIC); formerly Science Foundation Ireland
- Terence Forrester, University of the West Indies (UWI), Chair, ISC Foundation Fellowship Council
- Alik Ismail-Zadeh, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany; inaugural ISC Governing Board Secretary (2018–2021)
- Catherine Jami, French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS)
- Mike Meadows, Emeritus Professor, University of Cape Town; President International Geographical Union (IGU)
- Khotso Mokhele, Chair of the Advisory Council of the African Open Science Platform, South Africa
- Mobolaj Oladoyin Odubanjo, Executive Secretary, Nigerian Academy of Science
- Roger Pfister, Head of International Cooperation, Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences
- Michael Saliba, Professor of Chemistry, U. Stuttgart; Global Young Academy
- Vaughan Turekian, Executive director of US National Academies’ Policy and Global Affairs Division
- Salvatore Aricò, ISC CEO
- Peter Gluckman, ISC President
- Sawako Shirahase, ISC Vice-President for Finance
Photo by Tamanna Rumee on Unsplash