The Council convenes the scientific expertise and resources needed to lead on catalysing, incubating and coordinating impactful international action on issues of major scientific and public importance.
- Committee on Space Research (COSPAR)
- Comparative Research Programme on Poverty (CROP)
- Future Earth
- Gender, Globalisation and Democratisation
- Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR)
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR)
- Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP)
- World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
- International Network for Government Science Advice (INGSA)
- Science International
- ISC in the News
The Council’s activities focus on three principal areas of work.
- Science-for-policy to stimulate and support international scientific research and scholarship, and to communicate science that is relevant to international policy issues.
- Policy-for-science to promote developments that enable science to contribute more effectively to major issues in the international public domain.
- Scientific freedom and responsibility to defend the free and responsible practice of science.
With a broad range of co-sponsored international research programmes, networks and committees, the Council’s activities span a broad range of issues, from global sustainability, poverty, urban health and wellbeing and disaster risk reduction, to data, observing systems and science advice to governments.