The ISC Global Knowledge Dialogue for Latin America and the Caribbean will be held on 9 – 11 April 2024 in Santiago de Chile.
About the ISC
The International Science Council convenes the scientific expertise and resources needed to lead on catalyzing, incubating and coordinating impactful international action on issues of major scientific and public importance. The Council’s Action Plan forms a practical framework for the ISC’s work until the end of 2024, and to work towards the ISC’svision of science as a global public good.
The ISC works at the intersection of science and policy, particularly at the UN level, to ensure that science is integrated into international policy development and that relevant policies take into account both scientific knowledge and the needs of science.
Global Knowledge Dialogue series
The Global Knowledge Dialogue (GKD) is a series of events the ISC is holding through the various regions of the world, which started in Africa at the World Science Forum in 2022 and continued in 2023 globally at the Mid-term meeting of ISC Members in May in Paris, and regionally in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at the GKD Asia-Pacific.
Global Knowledge Dialogue – Latin America and the Caribbean
The GKD for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) is led by the ISC Regional Focal Point and its Liaison Committee in conjunction with ISC Paris HQ and will consist of three blocks including:
- The ISC in a Member context: A discussion between the ISC leadership, ISC Fellows, and Members on the strategic and organizational objectives of the ISC for the next five years.
- Science in the Global context: Promoting diversity in science and science systems.
- The ISC in a regional context: A dialogue on developing a workstream for the ISC Regional Focal Point for Latin America and the Caribbean in the coming years, as well as a discussion on the future of funding science for sustainability in the region.
👉 Please consult the dedicated GKD for Latin America and the Caribbean Concept Note.
Who can attend?
Presidents, executive officers and other office bearers, as well as ISC focal points and other representatives of all ISC Members and ISC Affiliated Bodies, along with ISC Fellows, key decision-makers and key partners from the region are invited to attend. For international organizations, we highly encourage participation of a delegate from the Latin America and the Caribbean region, particularly if the organization has a regional presence/office/hub/network in LAC or is planning to expand its network in this region.
Simultaneous interpretation (Spanish – English/English – Spanish) will be provided on all conference days.
📅 Tuesday, 9 April
|– Travel and registration
– AI Workshop (TBD, by invitation only) from the ISC’s think tank, the Centre For Science Futures
– Early and Mid-Career Researchers (EMCR) Forum: Latin America and the Caribbean
– Freedom and responsibilities in science
📅 Wednesday, 10 April
– Ministerial address
ISC in a Member context
– ISC strategic and organizational objectives
– Global Commission on Science Missions for Sustainability
|– Ambassadors round table
– Artificial intelligence (AI) and the ISC Centre for Science Futures
|Lunch (with ambassadors)
|Science in a global context
– Scientific publishing
– Science & global policy processes
|– Promoting diversity in science and science systems
– Urban health and wellbeing
|Dinner in partnership with the Frontiers Planet Prize
📅 Thursday, 11 April
|ISC in a regional context
– Funding science for sustainability in Latin America and the Caribbean
– Workstream for the ISC Regional Focal Point for Latin America and the Caribbean (group exercise)
|ISC in a regional context (continued)
– Discussion on group exercise and next steps for workstream
|– Close and informal networking
More information on the venue will be published shortly.
Participants are expected and strongly encouraged to cover their own expenses, however, the ISC has a limited number of bursaries (flight and accommodation) available to enable the participation of delegates who require financial support. The deadline for applications for bursary is closed. If you have been granted a bursary, please fill in the travel form as soon as possible. Please direct any questions regarding bursaries to Anne Thieme (email@example.com).
Registration for in-person attendance
Please register your in-person attendance by completing the online registration form below by 6 March.
ISC Membership Liaison Officer
Photo by Luis Aleman on Unsplash